Basketball Player Highlight with Kathleen Hale

 


Kathleen Hale is a sophomore for the Linn-Benton Basketball team, and with 7 points and 13 rebounds a game, one of its crucial players. 

Growing up in Filer, Idaho, Hale started playing basketball in third grade and has helped bring the Roadrunners to the NWAC tournament for the first time in four years. A vocal leader who brings energy and aggression to the basketball court and life, this season Hale has channeled that aggression into driving at the basket for layups. 

In her time away from the courts and the classroom, Hale likes to go hiking and explore Oregon’s wilderness. After basketball, Hale hopes to pursue a career in nutrition for children.


When did you start playing basketball?

When I was in third grade.

Who got you interested?

There was one dad who was putting on a team and reached out to my mom and asked if I wanted to play and I did; then I fell in love with the sport because I was actually good; I did dance and I didn't do any sports and then he asked for me to be on his team and then I fell in love with it and became good at it so I continued.

What was your best game?

This season has been a great season. I had a few; the opener where I can't remember who we played, but I had a good game, a double-double. I think I had 15 or 17 rebounds. I don't remember the team we played for my best defensive game but it was probably against Lane at home.

What are your plans after your playing career at Linn-Benton?

I don't plan on playing after this. I'm ending my career here at LB, hopefully on a good note. I’m excited to be in the tournament, so that's one of our goals that was accomplished, and then I'm going to university and I'm going to study nutrition. I want to work with little kids being paid to create diet plans, and work in that field with little kids.

How have you evolved as a player over this season?

I have evolved a lot as a player. I feel like I became more aggressive and I definitely have become more confident within myself as well as my team, which makes us a good team. All of us feel like we can rely on each other and I feel like I'm more aggressive when I drive to the rim and I wasn't as aggressive at last year. So, I feel like finishing around the rim this year and fast break Improvement.

What was the most useful criticism you’ve received?

Last year I remember when I got defensive player honors in the NWAC, not all defensive, but defensive team and somebody was like “oh yeah” and kind of downplayed it. So, I'm just hoping for a better result this year, maybe being more flexible so that I'm not just contributing defensively, because that's noticed, and being more aggressive offensively. Maybe the second team would be cool as one of my goals; it's not just about being just a defensive player. I want that I'm also contributing offensively, too.

What is the weakest part of your skill set?

Ball handling; since I'm a post I don't bring the ball up the floor. When I was younger, I was a ball handler before I hit my growth spurt. Once I hit my growth spurt I started playing more inside the key as a post, so my skills were rusty and I didn't keep a focus on my ball handling. So, my ball handling is definitely my weakest part.

How do you prepare before games?

I always make a good lunch that's different for every game. I don't have the same lunch routine but I always have a good lunch and I eat like three hours before the game. Then I have my getting ready routine. Sabrina, who's also my roommate, we'll get ready together, play music, get super pumped up and then come and get shot practice, and then get ready for the game and lock in.

What is your emotional role on the team?

My emotional role is that I feel like a lot of people look up to me, so I try to bring good energy and a positive impact to the team. I'm more of a vocal leader so I always have to stay on top of my game even, it's hard on the days that I don't want to be loud. I know that I have to step up and be loud and try to get everyone pumped up.


What other sports do you watch?

I love watching live baseball, I love watching professional baseball, and I actually watched football with my family growing up. I always watch football, I watch some professional basketball, but not much and then I honestly don't watch a lot of TV; a lot of sports but those would be the ones.

What do you do in your off time?

In my off time I love hanging out with my friends and my family. I love being outdoors, so when it's sunny here in Oregon I'm always trying to be outside. This summer I picked up pickleball, which is like skyrocketing; a lot of people are doing it, and I actually did it with my aunt, who's like 60, and I'm 20 so it's like a big age difference, but I love it, I love pickleball and other sports, like when it's warm here. Last year, when it was warm here in the springtime, a lot of my teammates and myself my friends would go out and play sand volleyball here at the courts right out outside here. We took it as a class, but we'd also do it in our free time.

Are you from Oregon, did you grow up in Albany?

No, I'm from a small town in Idaho called Filer, and it's a little bit different than here; it's a lot more country and smaller, but a close town next to me is Twin Falls which is more popular; it is a lot like Albany so it wasn't too hard to adjust, but I definitely miss the small town countryside feel.

How do you keep out distractions and focus on game day?

Discipline and knowing what our goals are, both individually and as a team. Pretty much for me, nothing comes higher than what I want to get done, and that's what's most important; so everything can come second and that's how I stay focused and make sure I'm in the zone.

Is there any advice that you would like to give to younger basketball players or other college athletes?

Yeah, I think knowing your goals and where you want to be will help you stay consistent and driven, and obviously hard work is going to get you where you want to be, but putting in time and having a good attitude and perspective on it will help you achieve those goals as well.

How do you balance academic and athletic life?

Right now I have a pretty good schedule. I don't have school everyday and I have my weeks planned out so I know I have time set for my Athletics, as well as for my school. Just making sure in those time slots I'm supposed to be doing what I set on my schedule and that helps me stay in line, but if I don't have that, then I'm not putting all my eggs in the right basket.

What does it feel like to be making the NWAC tournament for Linn Benton for the first time in a number of years, and to represent the school amongst other colleges?

It feels great; we set a goal to get into the tournament and we worked hard all season; so it feels good to have that hard work pay off. It's exciting to be a part of something that hasn't happened for so many years, and I'm excited to go there and play and hopefully we go far all right.


At a Glance:

Kathleen Hale

Occupation: Student Athlete at Linn-Benton Community College
Hometown: Filer, Idaho
Education: Linn-Benton Community College
Years at LBCC: 2
Major: Nutrition
Other Interests: Hiking, exploring Oregon, listening to music, preparing meals for a career in childhood nutrition.
Linn-Benton Women's Basketball Team Website:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A with Linn-Benton Professor Chris Riseley

A Review of "Daylight" by David Kushner

Journalism for Spring 2023 in Review