New Term, New Class

TOPIC 1: ABOUT YOU -- Who's who in JN216-News Reporting this term:


  • What prompted you to enroll in this course?


I chose to take this course to expand my skills in journalism and build upon my ability to write articles and report news, seeing as I took the photojournalism class in the previous term and developed my abilities to articulate events and happenings in the form of photos and the explanations that accompany them. I found it all-too appropriate to continue my success in the field of journalism by adding to my repertoire with news reporting. I am hoping to continue to make contributions to the Linn-Benton Commuter. I also want to participate in a cooperative work experience project in the future, perhaps the spring, and become a professional journalist. This is all part of the concept of storytelling, whether it be fiction, non-fiction, or news;  I am hoping that I can get a degree in photojournalism and pursue professional credentials in the field. My fantastic experience in photojournalism class, as well as at the Commuter, and my repertoire with the volleyball team is something that I want to continue to make a part of my experience here at Linn-Benton Community College


  • Are you a Journalism major? (If not, WHY? Just kidding …)


Yes, I am a journalism major and I consider it all to be a part of the profession or hobby of storytelling. I've always found myself fascinated with books, short stories, novels, and films and television. I believe that studying news reporting will contribute to my ability to be a proficient and erudite author. 


  • What are you most interested in learning about Journalism/News Reporting?


I think that I am most interested in learning about the format of feature pieces in   newspapers as well as sports pieces. For a long time I have been trying to find the perfect structure for writing essays and informative information, and I'm looking forward to creating a format for reporting new stories and sports articles as well. I think that formulating a structure for conducting interviews might be interesting and I am hoping that I develop my personal skills in engaging audiences and interviewees in addition to my professional skills in a business environment. 


  • Tell us something you are passionate about outside of college (e.g. I'm a runner. I mostly do in relays -- including Hood-to-Coast and Wild Rogue; and some half marathons ... and I'm a huge baseball fan; I especially follow the Milwaukee Brewers and Seattle Mariners.)


I'm an enormous sports fan and I love conducting experiments in predicting the outcomes of football games, as well as basketball games. I enjoy reading science fiction and developing my Spanish-speaking skills, and I hope to translate or write some of my articles from or into Spanish respectively, this term. 


TOPIC 2: YOUR THREE GOALS -- What do you plan to accomplish this term in JN216-News Reporting?


Write about THREE goals you have for this term (e.g. Learn how to conduct kick-ass interviews, master writing killer leads …)

Explain each goal.


  1. My first goal is to create a structure for writing Sports stories, based on the type of sport event that is occurring. That is to say, I hope that I can have a format for whether I am writing a summary of a basketball game, a baseball game, a championship event, a tournament event, a player celebration ceremony, or a different kind of sporting event.

  2. My second goal is to create a format for conducting interviews, and arrange a different format for different types of interviews, whether they be for academics, business persons, humanitarian events, or any other type of journalistic experience.

  3. My third goal is to turn in my assignments earlier than I did last term and get ahead of the curve on writing stories for the Commuter so that I'm not always feeling like I'm perpetually behind in completing my work for my team. 


TOPIC 3: MY FIRST NEWS STORY -- Now that you’ve settled on the topic for your first LBCC-related news story, answer these questions:


  • Describe what your first news story is about. It was about the conference title celebration for the volleyball and baseball teams.

  • List three SOURCES (including FULL NAME, TITLE) for information -- at least TWO of them real, live human beings! Jayme Frazier, head coach of the basketball team, and Zaley Bennet, a player on the volleyball team.

  • List five questions you intend to ask/answer about your story subject.


1. What was it like to win the title?

2. What was the most challenging part about the season?

3. Who was the most difficult team you faced?

  1. What are your goals for next season?

  2. How do you plan on preparing for next season?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A with Linn-Benton Professor Chris Riseley

A Review of "Daylight" by David Kushner

Journalism for Spring 2023 in Review